CDIH
Why is shit so disassociated? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Why is shit so disassociated? (/showthread.php?tid=6460)

Pages: 1 2

- Arpikarhu - 05-28-2003

i am tempted to believe you too.

- The Sleeper - 05-28-2003

he also asked "name an obstacle you had to overcome, and how did you?" I made up a story about winning a tennis tournament. it was smooth.

- Is Don on the phone? - 05-29-2003

I just spent two weeks sitting on interview panels. I wanted to reach across the table, grab half the applicants and ask if they ever thought to find out what we do before the interview. Sheesh, we even have a website...

- GonzoStyle - 05-29-2003

what do you do?

- Ants in My Pants - 05-29-2003

Quote:what do you do?
He has a website.

I bet it's a message board, it seems to be the savvy thing to do.

- Kid Afrika - 05-29-2003

I would soooo love to offer my insight on this topic, but I've only ever had one professional interview. I got the job, despite my fly being OPEN!.

Now I have to interview people sometimes and I have no clue how to handle the process. In the end, look at every interview as a personal building experience, not an assault on you personally. Learn from ever job you don't get, and apply those lessons to the next interview. The only downfall is that you will not get feedback from your failed interviews.

Well the whole problem is that there are really no interviews anymore. When I first entered the "real" job market while going to college in the mid 90's, I had real interviews. My quarrel now is that it is to inpersonal, there is no communication, they just hand you a generic test and say "there are no wrong answers" Well obviously there must be wrong answers if people don't get called back.

- Kid Afrika - 05-29-2003

Yeah, they only tell that to the people they don't want to hire...

But seriously, if you get the opportunity to be in front of someone, that's your opportunity to set yourself apart from the rest of the applicants. Of course, I know it's not that easy. Hell, I've been very lucky in finding a job that I like fresh out of school and holding it for nearly 3 years now (knock on wood).

IMO, these days it's not important to be specialized, it's more important to be divirsified... You have to highlight your many skills, no matter the depth of those skills and promote yourself as the proverbial "jerk of all trades, master of none". Companies want to maximize their employee's potential at the cost of a quality output/product. It's no longer a good thing to be specialized in one thing, but instead is better to be efficient at 12 things. Your best bet is to be well-rounded. Don't aim for any job, aim for every job. Focus on your qualities that make you a good employee, not a good applicant for a job.

Of course, this is just my "employed" opinion, and you should take from it what you will. But, I can identify with the masses that are looking for jobs as I work at my sub-standard/overworked salary company while many of my friends are out of work. And as an insight, my mother was just let go from her job after her company was bought out. Now, at age 55, and a salary of 6 figures +, she is left to a job market that no longer supports people of her status. In the end, she'll take a job at Wal-Mart as long as it pays the bills. Gone are the days of pride in education and experience, take any job you can get and make the most out of it.

- crx girl - 05-29-2003

i didn't get an interview at outback because i failed a "test" and i know it wasn't the math part. i've been to several job "interviews" where they give you several pages of questions where you answer somewhere from strongly agree to strongly disagree. it's a cheap shortcut to finding a specific type of person to hire. i took the test once where they tell you to answer honestly because there are no wrong answers, then they stick the thing in a computer and it spews out a yes or a no. i guess my problem is i'm too honest. and really who wants to work for a company that has a prerequesite that you must answer certain inane questions the right way. it's fucked up. i've also failed at several interviews where they ask what are your weak points. really if they want you to tell them that sometimes you're too matriculous then what's the fucking point. from what i can tell with most of the job interviews out there the better your bullshit the better your chances.

and babble babble on. i just got home from my job and i['m drunk.

Edited By crx girl on 1054201229

- onehung - 05-29-2003

Quote:Now, at age 55, and a salary of 6 figures +, she is left to a job market that no longer supports people of her status. In the end, she'll take a job at Wal-Mart as long as it pays the bills.
I hope that "6 figures" includes change. if she was making that kinda money at 55, theres no reason for her to become the greeter at walmart to pay bills.