CDIH
Your economic confidence - A thread for painter - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Your economic confidence - A thread for painter (/showthread.php?tid=4130)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Arpikarhu - 11-09-2002

Quote:but you never know which "rock solid" company will fold next....
stick with the blue chips baby!

- PeterDragon - 11-09-2002

Quote:stick with the blue chips baby!
All of my stocks were blue chips, and they all suck right now.

of course some were Tech blue chips (like Cisco), which doesn't really count....

- Arpikarhu - 11-09-2002

they suck now of course. but the market always trends up over the long haul. plus those blue chips are all a bargain now. i cant stop buying at these prices.

- LZMF1 - 11-09-2002

unfortunately i cannot vote several times in this poll because 2 of the choices apply to me :-(

nope make that 3 choices

Edited By LZMF1 on 1036817606

- SLASH - 11-09-2002

So, OAS, what do you suggest we youngens do?

- JerseyThunder - 11-09-2002

If I don't find something soon (having been deactivated at the end of august) I have 2 choices,
1: go to colledege

2: Do whatever it takes and re-enlist in the active duty force.

The second choice is ten time harder than the first as I have put on quite a bit of wehigfht since comming off active duty, but seeing as what happened yesterday it is something I have to do.

- The Painter - 11-09-2002

Quote:Painter and Afrika's opinions were rather informative.

Unlike the unemployed here, this is the first opportunity I've had to comment. I own my business. The last 2 years are the best I've ever had. Normally Jan and Feb are months when I have no work, I've work right through the last 2 winters and this year I'm booked through April. When people pull their money out of the market, they put it into their house. Fix it up, make it nicer. Remodeling and extensions are both up. Between the money pulled from the market, and the cocooning effect from 9-11, there is lots of work in my trade. Any contractor worth his salt should be very busy now.

I think Petersdragon hit a lot of the reasons right on the head. Over valued Nasdaq and the busting of that bubble. Crooked CEO's, and 9-11. I don't really think it's the fault of the Dem's or the Rep's. It's just the events of man. There is still money to be made in the market. A lot of big companies are at all time lows. Now is the time to buy. Cablevision and K-Mart are just 2. I've already pulled profit from K-Mart. Cable has tripled since I picked it up, and it's still rising. I don't see this as the worst economic times in my life, I think that was in the 70's. Inflation really sucks.

- Brokenjaw - 11-09-2002

My long term finacial plan consists of one thing and one thing only.

Scratch and win :thumbs-up:

Edited By Brokenjaw on 1036849045

- IrishAlkey - 11-09-2002

His balls.

- GonzoStyle - 11-09-2002

Quote:worth his salt

That was very informative, painter.

- onehung - 11-09-2002

Quote:Quote
worth his salt

That was very informative, painter.
Its true ya know.

I smell ya dawg.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 11-09-2002

Personally, my finances are a mess. I live at home, but I pay for all of my expenses with the exception of my medical care. I'm graduating in May and anticipate having some trouble finding work, but not as much as others since my degree is in Criminal Justice, and there is always a need for law enforcement. Within the next few months, I'm going to be moving out, taking on a car payment, as well as several other things...I'm somewhat nervous about living paycheck to paycheck as it is not something I'm really accustomed to, but hopefully I'll get hired by the feds sooner than later and I won't have to eat Cup o' Noodles all my life.

Quote:hopefully I'll get hired by the feds sooner than later

I feel so safe all of a sudden.

- The Painter - 11-10-2002

Quote:worth his salt

Sorry, I forget how old I am sometimes. It means worth his pay.

- onehung - 11-10-2002

Quote:It means worth his pay

He smells ya dog.

- PeterDragon - 11-11-2002

Quote:Any contractor worth his salt should be very busy now
Only residential. I am a contractor in commercial / industrial, and now we are slow - poor stock prices mean fiscal conservativeness for business means less expansion, means less commercial contracting.

I wonder how long the residential market will keep though - if people's stock portfolio plunges, they may not feel like undergoing big expenses.

On the other hand, rising housing prices has caused several people I know to spend the money on expansion, rather than try and move to a bigger house.

You might as well make money, while money's good.

- Galt - 11-12-2002

Cisco's order backlog is increasing. Means companies are buying more to build their technology infrastructure. One of the first things that gets put off during down times.

It's a good sign. If I had money (sorry to disappoint OAS), I'd be buying

Plus, Another republican governor for Massachusetts