CDIH
Spider-goat - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Spider-goat (/showthread.php?tid=2319)

- Maynard - 06-26-2002

[url]<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,4562471%255E13762,00.html">http://www.news.com.au/common/story_pag ... 62,00.html</a><!-- m -->
[/url]

Scientists mix spiders with goats
23jun02

LONDON: As comic book hero Spider-Man fills cinemas with his webby adventures, prepare to meet an equally astonishing creation - Spidergoat.

Scientists have combined the DNA from a goat and spider to create an animal which produces silk that is five times stronger than steel. The fibre, derived from the goats' milk, harnesses the huge strength of silk spun by spiders.

The breakthrough could be worth millions because the silkmilk fibre can be used to make body armour which is far tougher than normal bullet-proof vests – while weighing little more than a cotton shirt.

The hybrid goats were created by the insertion of a single gene from an orb-weaving spider into a fertilised goat egg.

The amazing genetically-engineered goats are outwardly normal, but carry the gene responsible for production of a spider silk protein. Each goat is only 1/70,000th spider, but when fully grown the females produce a milk which can be treated to produce a fibre with spider-silk strength.

The animals are believed to be the first commercially-viable creatures made from the DNA of two species.

Nexia, the Canadian biotech company which produced the goats, hopes the fibre – dubbed Biosteel – could take a large chunk of the billion-dollar market in industrial fibres.

Now this is fucking unbelievable. When will they stop fucking with mother nature??? They're gonna keep pushing and pushing till they end up with something really scary and mankind is gonna be fucked.

- Ken'sPen - 06-26-2002

Quote:Maynard,
how many crappy threads are you going to start today to reach your quota?

- Arpikarhu - 06-26-2002

the aforementioned company has been doing this for years. the silk will be used for bullet proof vests and the like. the gene only affects the mammary glands. otherwise it is like a normal goat. i like the rabbit that they put a jelly-fish gene into so now it glows in the dark that is coo!!
[Image: ho_alba_green_000918_h.jpg]
Glowing rabbit

- Maynard - 06-26-2002

Hey retard, if you don't like it, then why are you responding? Do you think you're funny?

Hardly.

- Ken'sPen - 06-26-2002

I responded to it, cause Arpi PM'd me and asked me to.

- Arpikarhu - 06-26-2002

Quote:I responded to it, cause Arpi PM'd me and asked me to.
you and Shamuroth should get together to share your tall tales and shaggy dog stories

- fbd - 06-26-2002

can they make a monkey with four asses?or can they cross breed fish with rabbits?or even a pot bellied pig and an elephant

- Maynard - 06-26-2002

Mmmmm.....

Neon Beer?
Variations of the jellyfish’s glowing genes have been used in another relatively non-scientific application. In December, a company called Prolume began marketing squirt guns loaded with replicated versions of the genes. The liquid squirts like water, but lights up when it comes in contact with a person, or any substance containing calcium.
Other researchers are working on developing glow-in-the-dark hair mousse, ink and cake frosting. There is even preliminary research underway to produce glow-in-the-dark beer and champagne.
Still, Lisa Lange, the director of policy and communications at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, points out these other applications of glow genes don’t take advantage of an animal’s life.
“I think creating this rabbit a silly and wasteful thing to do,” says Lange.

- Arpikarhu - 06-26-2002

Quote:began marketing squirt guns loaded with replicated versions of the genes. The liquid squirts like water, but lights up when it comes in contact with a person, or any substance containing calcium
this reminds me of the last time i went to your house:-D

- GonzoStyle - 06-26-2002

Next thing you know maymay's gonna be doing weekly reviews about stories no one else seems to read or hear about.. something silly like canerous live wires or super spider goats.

Maymay stick to what ya know beeyatch and get to suckin, it ain't gonna suck itself.

- Arpikarhu - 06-26-2002

Quote:Next thing you know maymay's gonna be doing weekly reviews about stories no one else seems to read or hear about.. something silly like canerous live wires or super spider goats.
we will have to call him ikea........never mind

Quote:we will have to call him ikea........never mind

Arpi actually made me laugh, sound the alarm the third horseman is waving deaths sword as we speak.

- Arpikarhu - 06-26-2002

Quote:Arpi actually made me laugh, sound the alarm the third horseman is waving deaths sword as we speak
you words cut me deeply

Quote:you words cut me deeply

as your cum rocket does to me.