CDIH
Message board banning - Does it serve a valuable purpose? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Message board banning - Does it serve a valuable purpose? (/showthread.php?tid=3266)

Pages: 1 2 3

- OAS - 08-21-2002

I have never been a big fan of banning people from message boards. Censorship in any form bothers me very much.

But lately I'm having second thoughts. I'm beginning to see the value of actions along those lines that might be better for the sum of the whole.

Your thoughts or opinions?

- Corpsegrinder13 - 08-21-2002

Ban me

- Maynard - 08-21-2002

I don't agree with banning. I'm guilty of doing it once here, and I regret it.

I guess there's some people on oa.com that deserved to be banned, but I like Sean's way of doing it much better. The Cell is a genius idea.

- Hybrid - 08-21-2002

yea, the cell was a great idea. you have to be a real ass to get banned here anyway, since it's pretty much an invite only thing.

- Metalfan - 08-21-2002

Come on Corpsey, ya know you love it here :burnfucker:

What does banning actually do for the board? Gives the tool in question a reason to go and create 800 other screen names to log in under and pull the same shit. The Cell does seem to be more creative....and highly amusing for those tormenting the inmates :fuggin:

- Keyser Soze - 08-21-2002

There is a much more creative and entertaining way of dealing with people other than banning. Banning is for wimps. The Cells are a genius idea of Sean's that work perfectly. I've seen in more cases than not where people are banned because the moderator in question simply was outwitted and outmatched and used it to save face.

Be a man (or woman) and deal with it head on.

- Sean Cold - 08-21-2002

Keyser, I wish I could have banned you ten more times on OA.com, I don't seem to have gotten my fill.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 08-21-2002

I don't think banning does any good either, all it does is make people try to find new ways to come back....or it makes them just get banned for fun. I like the cell better too...especially since its almost always funny.

- Corpsegrinder13 - 08-21-2002

I agree that the Cell is a great way to deal with it. Most people are banned for continual stupidity on most boards such as spamming and a harassment. But of course there are the ego trips that do it just for the fuck of it..

- Metalfan - 08-21-2002

Quote:But of course there are the ego trips that do it just for the fuck of it..

Dude, what are you talking about.......I'm sure that most of us here have NEVER seen that happen
:crackhead:

- fbd - 08-21-2002

on a public message board like oa.com, you need banning. spammers can come, or people show up to start trouble. a ban or two, and they go away. here, i cant see why anybody should be banned(theres what...3 people?). the cell works just as good, and can entertain us. people who would normally be banned cant come here, so it works out the same in the end

- Hybrid - 08-21-2002

you should be banned for that sig

What do you say we go back and you can do it for old times sake?

I'll even hotlink a box of tampons just for SLASHypoo.

- OAS - 08-21-2002

The cell is a great idea, but I don’t think it works in all cases.

Let’s just say hypothetically, that a person is a major irritant to most. People try to send subtle messages and they just become more belligerent. They finally get put in the cell and when they get out, it doesn’t take them long to go back to their unwanted ways.

People try to send subtle messages, they plead with them, some respected members will advise them that they are only making matters worse. But they still don’t get it.

Is banning appropriate then?

- Maynard - 08-21-2002

OAS's post was just DRIPPING with innuendo.....

- ClusterF@#$ - 08-21-2002

My impression of this place is that Sean learned a lot about what not to do from his experience at oa.com... there is much less flaming here, much less etiquette restrictions, less cliquey and this place generally seems to be a lot more lax.

Probably a lot has to do with the fact that O and A are going to pull a wider audience, and increase the chances of bringing douchebags around, so there really has to be more policing there..... but I just get a better feeling around here. I am surrounded by people who already know the rules, the ettiquete, and since we already know eachother and because of the invitation factor, there is a lot less bashing... and I don't think we see a lot of instances of people who need to be abolished.

This place definitely incorporated all the good things of oa.com and evaluated the bad in terms of how to do things better.

Like I said... just an impression. I don't want to speak for Sean and all the mods if that was not the intent, that's just the feeling I get by being here.

Edited By ClusterF@#$ on Aug. 21 2002 at 2:42

i'd just keep throwing them in the cell. they can rot in there until they decide to play nice.

- Sean Cold - 08-21-2002

Like his first post wasn't it? I feel like he is lobbying on Capital Hill with this gem. Who would have thought OAS= Heston in front of the Senate trying to get the legalization of sub machine guns?

- Ken'sPen - 08-21-2002

I don't get it........

- PollyannaFlower46 - 08-21-2002

Thats shocking Ken...no really, it is.