CDIH
HBO Series: 30 years of Boxing - 12 Legendary Fights - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: HBO Series: 30 years of Boxing - 12 Legendary Fights (/showthread.php?tid=5340)

- Teenweek - 02-20-2003

Quote:For Immediate Release

HBO SPORTS FINALIZES LIST OF PRIZEFIGHTS TO BE FEATURED IN LEGENDARY NIGHTS

12-part documentary series celebrating 30 years of World Championship Boxing coverage debutes March 2003; Jim Lampley hosts

LOS ANGELES, Jan. 7, 2003 -- HBO Sports, honored six times with George Foster Peabody Awards for broadcast excellence in sports documentaries, has finalized the list of prizefights to be showcased in the 12-part documentary series Legendary Nights, celebrating the most memorable fights in the network's 30 years of World Championship Boxing coverage. Hosted by Jim Lampley, the "Sports of the 20th Century" presentation will air for 12 consecutive weeks in prime time, starting WEDNESDAY, MARCH 5 (10:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT), followed by other shows on subsequent Wednesdays at the same time. The series is executive produced by Ross Greenburg, president, HBO Sports, and Rick Bernstein, executive producer, HBO Sports.

"The most enduring characteristic of HBO Sports is our tradition of boxing excellence," said Greenburg. "For 30 years, we have produced World Championship Boxing, the sport's premier TV series. Now we will dig in and produce a documentary series that examines, in our unique storytelling style, the 12 HBO fights that most stand out."

The criteria for selecting the 12 fights that will be spotlighted in individual 30-minute films was simple. "The most memorable fights that have aired on HBO are going to be showcased," said Bernstein. "Some might not even qualify among the more competitive fights in our 30-year history, but for various reasons they are among the most memorable ever to be presented on World Championship Boxing."

With more than 500 fights presented on HBO since 1973, the final selection of the 12 fights for LEGENDARY NIGHTS was a challenging task. The bouts that will be showcased, in chronological order, are:

SUGAR RAY LEONARD VS. TOMMY HEARNS (1981)
LARRY HOLMES VS. GERRY COONEY (1982)
AARON PRYOR VS. ALEX ARGUELLO (1982)
MARVIN HAGLER VS. TOMMY HEARNS (1985)
MARVIN HAGLER VS. SUGAR RAY LEONARD (1987)
MIKE TYSON VS. BUSTER DOUGLAS (1990)
JULIO CESAR CHAVEZ VS. MELDRICK TAYLOR (1990) EVANDER HOLYFIELD VS. RIDDICK BOWE trilogy (1992, '93, '95)
GEORGE FOREMAN VS. MICHAEL MOORER (1994)
RIDDICK BOWE VS. ANDREW GOLOTA I & II (1996)
OSCAR DE LA HOYA VS. FELIX TRINIDAD (1999)
LENNOX LEWIS VS. MIKE TYSON (2002)
Host Jim Lampley has served as World Championship Boxing's blow-by-blow commentator since 1988. Larry Merchant, who has been the expert commentator on HBO's boxing coverage since 1978, is contributing writer. In addition to HBO Sports' actual fight footage from the original broadcast, LEGENDARY NIGHTS will feature the network's acclaimed blend of rare footage, archival photos and revealing interviews.

LEGENDARY NIGHTS is executive produced by Ross Greenburg and Rick Bernstein; coordinating producers, Dave Harmon, Kirby Bradley and Kendall Reid-Gill; host, Jim Lampley; contributing writer, Larry Merchant.

This looks awesome. get those VCR's ready. Did not see the holmes vs cooney and arguello vs pryor but saw all the rest and all of them are classics. My favorite still is the 3 round bloodbath of Hagler vs hearns. Thi is a definite must watch for boxing fans.

- GonzoStyle - 02-20-2003

Holmes Vs. Cooney was amazing, ranks up there with Foreman V.s Lyle.

Arguello Vs. Pryor was even better, I loved this fight more than the Hagler Vs. leonard or Hearns V.s Leonard.

This series was in talks for months, I been stoked since then to see this.

There are some fights that coulda been left off and some that coulda been added in, like hopkins vs trinidad, tyson vs. spinks, holmes vs. spinks had a great story to it as well.

- Is Don on the phone? - 02-23-2003

I guess Spinks never fought on HBO? You'd think Holmes-Spinks I would have made it...

- Gooch - 02-23-2003

spinks DID indeed fight on HBO.

- Is Don on the phone? - 02-23-2003

How'd they overlook him? Best light-heavyweight to heavyweight fighter of the late 70s-early 80s!

- Arpikarhu - 02-24-2003

hagler vs hearns best 3 rounds ever!!

- Teenweek - 02-24-2003

Quote:hagler vs hearns best 3 rounds ever!!
:thumbs-up:
This is still my favorite fight of all time.

- Teenweek - 03-12-2003

Holmes vs Cooney tonight