CDIH
hello - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: SportsCenter (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: hello (/showthread.php?tid=7537)

Pages: 1 2

- Galt - 10-07-2003

- The Sleeper - 10-07-2003

sup

- Goatweed - 10-07-2003

they almost blew it - lets see them get past the Yanks.

- The Jays - 10-07-2003

Make sure to wear your Red Sox jersey when you go to your local sports bar.

- criticslovesnatch - 10-07-2003

i bet when that grounder went up the first base line you nearly shit your pants.

- Galt - 10-07-2003

Lyons is an idiot. That was nothing like the Mookie grounder. It was hit right at first base and Millar wouldn't have had to move.

I don't own any Red Sox paraphenalia.

And I will not be able to watch any games at the sports bars since I'll be in Yankee Stadium for every game played there.

- The Sleeper - 10-07-2003

Quote:And I will not be able to watch any games at the sports bars since I'll be in Yankee Stadium for every game played there.
sup buddy?

- The Jays - 10-07-2003

So, where will you be for the last two in Boston?

too bad grady little blew his wad and used every last one of his decent pitchers.

- Keyser Soze - 10-07-2003

sox/cubs would be pure heaven!

- HollywoodJewMoses - 10-07-2003

that was a fun riot

- The Jays - 10-07-2003

Ramirez is a fucking asshole. What a piece of fucking shit. Only a bunch of assholes like the Red Sox would find that shit he did acceptable. A's should have fucking plunked the next batter.

i bet my riots were more fun :bouncer:

probably not

- Faceman - 10-07-2003

...Ladies and Gentlemen, here is your humanitarian of the year...
[Image: capt.oas13010070251.red_sox_athletics_oas130.jpg] (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)}" onclick="javascript:if(this.width > (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)} else {this.width = (this.width*2)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

Edited By Faceman on 1065550039

- Goatweed - 10-07-2003

that was awesome

[Image: d5c1582d.jpg] (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)}" onclick="javascript:if(this.width > (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)} else {this.width = (this.width*2)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

[Image: edf5f73c.jpg] (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)}" onclick="javascript:if(this.width > (screen.width/2)){this.width = (this.width/2)} else {this.width = (this.width*2)}" border="0" alt='Posted image: Click to resize'>

- Keyser Soze - 10-07-2003

Violence at URI in celebration of Sox victory

By Robert Hanson

10/07/03 - Students on the University of Rhode Island Kingston campus formed together into a mob after the Boston Red Sox defeated the Oakland Athletics Monday night. There was limited property damage throughout the campus, some fires lit and a few fights.

The mob began forming in the area between Roger Williams complex and the Dorr, Coddington and Burnside residence halls just after the game ended around 11 p.m., said URI Police Lieutenant David Doweiko. He estimated that the size of the mob ebbed and flowed, averaging about 300 people. The crowd was not dispersed by police for hours.

"The crowd started lighting off fireworks, setting dumpsters on fire and generally praising the Red Sox," he said.

After this, the crowd started roaming around campus, forming in areas around Butterfield dining hall, the university quadrangle and the volleyball courts. Around the same time, the University Police called for aide from the South Kingstown, Narragansett and Rhode Island State police departments. When Doweiko was asked how the police would control the crowd, he said "there's not much we can do."

The police did at times use mace on members of the crowd, but Doweiko said nobody was "seriously" hurt by police or other members of the crowd. Additionally, just before the crowd disbursed, police began brandishing long batons. Nobody had been arrested by the police in connection with the celebration by press time.

The crowd was roamed around chanting "Red Sox," "Yankees suck" and "fuck the curse." They lit fires by the volleyball courts including one set on a volleyball net, threw garbage at each other inside the crowd, broke glass and tipped over trash cans and dumpsters.

"Other than the dumpsters being tipped over and the ones that were lit on fire, well find out in the morning," said Doweiko regarding possible property damage to the campus.

One member of the crowd, identifying himself only as Matt, said "this is the craziest thing I've ever seen in my life!"

Sophomore Kaycee Kaufmann, who was also part of the crowd, expressed her jubilation as well.

"I got maced in the arm, this is the best night of my entire life," she said. "This is what college should be like!"

At times the crowd seemed to have dispersed, only to join together again at another location. At others, the crowd moved in a giant mob between one location and another, with nobody in the lead. Police officers disbursed the crowd serveral times.

Red Sox fans were not the only people out celebrating, as many New York Yankees fans came out to join the mob with their own chants, such as Business major Brad Moss.

"[The crowd] all ran after me...I had kids spitting on me and punching me from behind," he said. "This wouldn't happen in New York. We win the World Series and celebrate with ticker tape parades."

URI was not alone in its jubilation, with violence being reported at the University of Massachusetts' Dartmouth campus as well Monday night. Additionally, according to the Associated Press, $20,000 of damage was done on Sunday night at UMass Darmouth.

Many members of the crowd and some police officers shared the sentiment that things would only get worse when the series between the Red Sox and the Yankees begins on Wednesday, no matter what team wins. Doweiko said the police were not immediately planning any contingency plans should a riot break out due to the impending series, but Director of Security Dr. Robert Drapeau and Vice President of Student Affairs Thomas Dougan were discussing the possibility at press time.

An officer who asked not to be named said "this is just some young kids blowing off a little steam."

ahhahaha amazing!