CDIH
Hello, friends in christ - A prayer - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Hello, friends in christ - A prayer (/showthread.php?tid=3450)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Arthur Dent - 09-09-2002

Quote:I mean am I supposed to believe the whole Easter thing is to observe a day to celebrate Christ rising to heaven?

No, that's Ascension Thursday.

- Doc - 09-09-2002

Quote:No, that's Ascension Thursday.

Is that anything like Two-fer Tuesday?

- Kid Afrika - 09-09-2002

Quote:Just let people believe what they want to believe. You are not the only logical person on the face the planet whose job it is to show everyone what you believe is the truth about Life, the Universe, and Everything

People can believe whatever the Hell they want to believe, and I can make fun of them for it. The bottom line is, if it makes you a better person to think that there's an all-knowing, ever-present man in the sky that created everything, go for yours.

I just question the logic behind many of the beliefs. Much the same way that you would question my beliefs if I told you that I worshipped frisbees and prayed to the yo-yo. :bow:

Quote:Is that anything like Two-fer Tuesday?

Is that the new age name for the Loaves and Fishes story?

- OAS - 09-09-2002

Quote:No, that's Ascension Thursday.
That flaws the theory. If Christ was nailed to a cross and died on a Friday, WHy did it take a week to rise to heaven. Did St. Peter have trouble verifying his references? If so, this whole "he lived a pure life" thing is out the window. Did he really end up banging Mary Magdeline after that whole "he who is free of sin" thing?

- Doc - 09-09-2002

Quote:People can believe whatever the Hell they want to believe, and I can make fun of them for it. The bottom line is, if it makes you a better person to think that there's an all-knowing, ever-present man in the sky that created everything, go for yours.

I just question the logic behind many of the beliefs. Much the same way that you would question my beliefs if I told you that I worshipped frisbees and prayed to the yo-yo.

I think we are agreeing on the same point here, just you're a little stupider about it

I don't give a shit of you make fun of someone for something...and I don't think anyone else gives a flying fuck too. If we can't take a joke, we all know where the door is.

What I don't like about what you said is that instead of just making fun, you had the patented K1d Afrika "I'm right and you're wrong so there" attitude about it.

Question other's beliefs all you want, I think that is an important part about one's beliefs, always making sure you still believe in them for the right reasons. But trying to say that one belief is better than the other is like trying to argue about matters of opinion. It's just plain silly.

Edited By Doc on Sep. 09 2002 at 11:17

- Ken'sPen - 09-09-2002

don't we do that though Doc,
I think Kid is a deranged fool for thinking Christina the walking stick is hotter than Charlize, or Spears, for that matter.

Quote:If Christ was nailed to a cross and died on a Friday, Why did it take a week to rise to heaven. Did St. Peter have trouble verifying his references?

Uhmm...Peter was still alive and hanging out with the rest of them in some house trying to figure out what to do next.

Quote:Did he really end up banging Mary Magdeline after that whole "he who is free of sin" thing?

According to the Agnostic Gospels, YES. I'd prefer to think the guy didn't die a virgin. :crackhead:

- Doc - 09-09-2002

Quote:don't we do that though Doc,
I think Kid is a deranged fool for thinking Christina the walking stick is hotter than Charlize, or Spears, for that matter.

But you can't say (seriously...you can joke about someone being wrong) that one is right and one is wrong. Just because K1d likes a chick who looks like the Bride of Frankenstien doesn't mean anything more than that. It's not right or wrong, just what he believes. I can ask him why he believes that, maybe question his reasoning, but in the end, we all have our own preferences.

And his preference is apparently the herion-chic look

Edited By Doc on Sep. 09 2002 at 11:27

- Ken'sPen - 09-09-2002

Doc I agree, I hate when people express an opinion as a "matter of fact"
I always try to couch my beliefs in tones that express they are simply that, opinions.

I'm truly sorry that you can't understand my commiment to my opinion. Rather than say, "I don't believe there's a Hell", I say "there is no Hell". As far as I'm concerned, it is a fact. Ok, so it's probably more akin to a "scientific fact", but it's a fact to me nonetheless.

You see, I can say with total conviction and not an ounce of doubt that there is no god. Why? Why not? With as much sincerity as religious people can look you in the eye and tell you there is a god, because that's what they believe, I can do the same (well, opposite). The difference is, my beliefs are based on reason, while others' beliefs are based on "faith".

- Doc - 09-09-2002

Quote:Doc I agree

Oh shit. Now my world comes crashing down

- Ken'sPen - 09-09-2002

pffffffffffffffft Doc,
You always agree with me,
you just try to hide it....
reread the Charlize Theron thread, you agreed with everything I wrote, but pretended it was Keyser who originally said it.....

you are my bitch.

OK, to get a little serious for a moment.

I was watching a Science Channel documentary and they were discussing Quantum Physics and all the possibilities it reveals. One of those possibilities is the existence of other dimensions. Seems physicists have mathematically proved the existance of as many as ten dimensions that all occupy the same physical space as our universe, but vibrate on different frequencies and don't hold to the same laws of physics as this universe.

So, with that in mind, it isn't to hard to imagine that in one of these dimensions, time does not exist as we know it and all the beings in this universe are immortal. maybe even exist outside of time. Beings that may have taken an interest in a certain lesser dimension and the intelligent beings that arise in this lesser dimension.

Also not hard to imagine that one of these dimensions is a pretty lousy place to be sent to.

not hard to imagine that the complicated interplay of bio-electric energy that makes up our consciousness can be transported between dimensions. Ascend to other dimensions upon the death of our physical mass.

I only beleive in two things. Me and infinite possibility.

- Ken'sPen - 09-09-2002

Arthur Dent = Buckaroo Bonzai???

Quote:Arthur Dent = Buckaroo Bonzai???

Nah, I don't have a rock band or a cool winabego.

- Ken'sPen - 09-09-2002

Ken = Perfect Tommy

For my first contradictory statement of this argument, I would like to say:

I know for a fact that there is a ton of shit that we just have no clue about. There's also about 1000x that much shit that is leaps and bounds above our level of comprehension. The fact that human beings feel a need to be able to explain everything away is probably the single most contributing factor to the bullshit that bogs us down as an evolving species. We are too smart for our own good, and yet too stupid to realize it at the same time.

- Doc - 09-09-2002

Quote:We are too smart for our own good, and yet too stupid to realize it at the same time.

You want to see this in action...go to an engineering school

- GonzoStyle - 09-09-2002

Quote:The fact that human beings feel a need to be able to explain everything away is probably the single most contributing factor to the bullshit that bogs us down as an evolving species.

I agree with that 100%.

People waste too much of their lives looking for "answers" or worse yet "purpose". Not everything needs an end or a answer, instead of asking, why? Just think, why not? Then move the fuck on and get over it, if there is a god, great. If there isn't how will you know? So why waste your time debating it?