CDIH
Question time! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Question time! (/showthread.php?tid=3689)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- NaughtyAngel - 10-08-2002

lets find a blind man and test it out!!

- OAS - 10-08-2002

You just want to f him Amy. You care nothing about science.

- Galt - 10-08-2002

I would like to use this as exhibit 20 that OAS is a moron.

100% of what you said is completely wrong.

- Stoned Again - 10-08-2002

My mother in law is blind, and stupid. Perfect canidate to test this out.

- OAS - 10-08-2002

Is it Galt. Prove it. Can a blind person that never had sight differentiate between two people with similar facial features that they have known by feel? If you never saw a picture of the Olson twins, but had them described to you in great detail and then had them in front of you one day, could you tell which was which? They are different in appearance, but similar in size and texture. One may be pointier than the other, but could you tell? The inability to see dimension and relationship to size and space will prevent you from identifying the difference in shape visualy, particularly when they are of the same size. A blind person could guess if there was a significant size difference.

Oh and for the moronic record, I also had a similar experiment in a class years ago. It's a helpfull experiment in understanding peoples reaction to change. So when VG gets the answer, you can feel free to back peddle all you want. Carry on Mr. I know it all because I will have my MBA some day.

Quote:My mother in law is blind, and stupid. Perfect canidate to test this out.
and if not, we kill her!!

- Kid Afrika - 10-08-2002

VG, I thouught I was gonna have to slap the piss out of you when I first saw that you posted this thread. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad this is just a single question, and not another questions game thread.

Carry on...

- 2 tired 2 give N F - 10-08-2002

So this isn't the question game? :bouncer:

Anyway the question has a bit of a trick in it...how could a cube and a sphere be the same size? does that mean they have the same mass or same area? if they had the same area one would be bigger than the other and I think he might be able to tell because of that

i still think theyd probably have an idea what would be smooth and what would be corners, but you never know.

- OAS - 10-08-2002

One more fact to consider Galt before you spout off more OAS is a tired worthless old man comment. It is a known fact that in the rare but occasional instance when a person without sight for years temporarily or even in more rare instances regains some or all of their sight. They are baffled by the apperance of everyday surroundings. One thing that amazes those individuals is their homes. They cam walk everyday of their blind existance without bumping into anything in their house. They can walk across a room to a flight of stairs, lift their leg at the precise moment to climb the first stair. When they see for the first timje, they are amazed at what their surroundings look like. They almost always envisioned that their home was much larger than it is. When they can see, they couldn't tell you which direction the stairs are in. Everything they do is by count and repitition when they are blind. Counting paces in a house makes them think everything is larger than it is. They even envision themselves being taller than they are, even though they may know that they are 5'7", they think that is tall in comparison to their surroundings.

If you had any understanding of the blind this would make sense to you.

And if you still believe I'm a moron, fine. Go back and read the question. When are the answers to these types of questions ever the obvious answer? "Ah duh, the cube has points and the sphere does'nt". Do I get my A now teacher? Yuk, yuk.

- Arthur Dent - 10-08-2002

Hmm...kinda like seeing your neighborhood from the air for the first time...

no its not!!!

- Galt - 10-08-2002

God, typical pseudo intellectual. Trying so hard to over analyze the simplest of situations to prove your intelligence. Why do so many people sit there and posture and overanalyze every situation when common sense is staring them in the face.

Your whole rant had nothing to do with the question. Sure there would be special issues, colors, depth, and many other visual changes to what they would expect. I’m not saying either would look exactly like they would expect, but you put the two of the objects together and the blindy would have a better than 50-50 shot at guessing right.

Look at the extreme. Would they be able to tell the difference between a football and a baseball? Or a dog and a pencil? Or a house and a penny? These things may not end up looking exactly what they would expect, but they are different enough for the blind person to use their sense of feel to pick out distinctive differences.

It really is as simple as one has edges and one is completely smooth. Could they draw it freehand, shit, I don’t know. But you put the two of them together, and they would be able to tell the difference.

PS. Your daughter is a dirty whore.

- Maynard - 10-08-2002

Quote:So when VG gets the answer, you can feel free to back peddle all you want.
Not me. I said no from the start.

- The Sleeper - 10-08-2002

I'm gonna side with Galt on this. I think this question is meant for people to over-analyze, when the right answer is staring them in the face, thus making them look stupid in the end. Kind of like, "what's heavier, 20 lbs of marbles, or 20 lbs of feathers". That being said, I still think it depends on the blind person and isn't an open and shit case.

- virgingrrl - 10-08-2002

Quote:VG, I thouught I was gonna have to slap the piss out of you when I first saw that you posted this thread. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad this is just a single question, and not another questions game thread.

Carry on...

i hate that "game", so i wouldn't post it anyway.

Quote:and isn't an open and shit case

hee hee, he said shit case.

- crx girl - 10-08-2002

i'm still undecided, can you two argue the point a little more please

- Hybrid - 10-08-2002

shit case is a good word. :thumbs-up:

- The Sleeper - 10-08-2002

except the fact that it's 2 words :thumbs-up:

- virgingrrl - 10-08-2002

shit case is good, but dil-pon is better.