CDIH
What's worse? - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: What's worse? (/showthread.php?tid=3293)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Keyser Soze - 08-23-2002

Ken I agree with you on some level but theres some strange thing about history and tradition and it being about the team even as it evolves from one group of players to the next. There always seems to be one star player who sticks around for a few years ( in my case, Piazza and Leiter ) that I can latch onto as well as having some old timers who stick around that remind you of the good old days ( Mookie, Seaver, Staub, Hernandez ).

- Ken'sPen - 08-23-2002

I have Darryl Green,
that is about it,
everyone else comes and goes....
I guess I am in a different catagory than you cause I grew up with football pre free agency where your team was made up of guys who were drafted and would retire in the same uniform.
and I hated players on other teams that were drafted and retired in those uniforms.

It just was odd having guys like Deion Sanders and Carl Banks in Burgandy and Gold.

- Sloatsburgh - 08-23-2002

Ken, you just didn't get my inside joke that I ride the train into work with my wife.

and I am somewhat curious what I look like in you image.....

- Ken'sPen - 08-23-2002

Quote:and I am somewhat curious what I look like in you image.....

I think you look like your sig pic.

- Keyser Soze - 08-23-2002

Imagine how weird it felt to watch Gooden and Cone pitch no-hitters in Yankee uniforms.

Quote:I think you look like your sig pic.

That's funny, because I don't..... oh, now I do.

- Kid Afrika - 08-23-2002

Quote:how emotionally wrenching it is for real fans to watch their teams win and lose.
That's just it, it's NOT 'their' team. I've already stated that I can understand liking a sport, I just don't understand following a team day in and day out. Where's the return on investment? You get to give the team money to watch the games. Then, you buy their t-shirts, jerseys, stuffed animals, license plate frames, etc. And what do you get out of it? A sense of accomplishment from a group of guys that you don't even know doing well at a game you could never play?

Can you tell me how what I'm saying doesn't hold true? You may not agree with me, but I don't think my statements are untrue.

- Ken'sPen - 08-23-2002

Kid it's kinda like a fantasy street gang....
you get to wear the colors....
get excited
live vicariously through their achievements and struggles,
but not get hurt.....

everything you say is 100% true
but I still love sports anyway....

my personal line in the sand is when fans start saying things like
WE will kick your ass,
or WE will win the Superbowl.....
but that is my line.

- McBourbon - 08-23-2002

It also helps if you know a few of the guys on the team. Since working at Jacob's Field, I've gotten to meet a lot of players, not just from the Indians, but from other teams as well. So if you're lucky, sometimes you do get a return on the investment. Hell, Jason Giambi bought me a beer at The Velvet Dog when he was in town about a month back. He was really friendly, very cool, and made me feel like an equal even though I was just an usher at the ballpark and he was making millions on the field. There are a few people out there who make you feel like it's a "we" thing when you talk to them. They talk about the sport in terms of what they're doing for the city and the people in it. That makes it feel like a "we" thing as well.

- PollyannaFlower46 - 08-23-2002

Name dropper ;-)

Sorry to hear that you'll be losing you job to, McBourbon.