CDIH
Tonight's the night!!! - Printable Version

+- CDIH (https://www.cdih.net/cdih)
+-- Forum: General Discussion and Entertainment (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Pit (https://www.cdih.net/cdih/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Tonight's the night!!! (/showthread.php?tid=9426)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- The Sleeper - 10-01-2004

it's not superficial to assume: repeal bush tax cuts = proper funding for war and healthcare??

- Arpikarhu - 10-01-2004

this is true. i was referring to the idea that kerry is just bush with feelings. this couldnt be less true. they are miles apart on almost all of the issues.

On domestic policies I would say they are very different. I am not confident that Kerry is much different on the Iraq issue though. How is he gonna coax our allies into joining a war that was clearly a mistake? Is he gonna do anything about elminating corporate ties in the middle east, which waste important funds on war profiteers and create conflicts of interest? How will our prescence there be any less of an insult to the insurgents under Kerry? I didn't get any of those answers from the debate last night.

- The Jays - 10-01-2004

Quote:Is he gonna do anything about elminating corporate ties in the middle east, which waste important funds on war profiteers and create conflicts of interest?

could you clarify this ?

dependence on Halliburton (who overbills and then pockets the money), the Saudi Royal Family, the oil industry in general...

- The Jays - 10-01-2004

Well, it's pretty hard to cut ties with the oil industry in general... We do use alot of oil in this country. But i do know that Kerry is very much in favor of the exploration and application of sustainable technologies, and of trying to use new technologies to minimize our impact on the environment. This is probably what tilts me toward Kerry the most. I believe it was on Tavis Smiley the other day, Howard Dean talking about the suburban condition and sprawl, along with other conditions which hurt the environment. Dean said that Kerry is extremely strong in this area, and that it is very central to his platform. Reducing our dependence on oil is good in so many ways, I would like to see Kerry discussthis in length.

I did read that Kerry proposed a cut in income tax that will be compensated by an increase in gas taxes to promote new forms of energy. I would be very much in favor of this.

however, I'm not sure the likelyhood of something like that getting passed in our auto-centric society

- The Jays - 10-01-2004

Most of the country would hate that, and it really does not seem viable.

And, Trouble is, new forms of energy aren't exactly ready yet.

I'd definitely be interested in Kerry speaking at length about concrete plans to reduce our dependency on oil.

- GonzoStyle - 10-01-2004

Arpikarhu Wrote:
Quote:Sorry if I dissapoint you but i'd have to give a fuck about your pompus and arrogant opinons in the first place

based upon your superficial and childlike understanding of candidates positions , i can't really say that this bothers me.
ok so you just told me you don't care, you showed me.

- Arpikarhu - 10-01-2004

GonzoStyle Wrote:
Arpikarhu Wrote:
Quote:Sorry if I dissapoint you but i'd have to give a fuck about your pompus and arrogant opinons in the first place

based upon your superficial and childlike understanding of candidates positions , i can't really say that this bothers me.
ok so you just told me you don't care, you showed me.
would you prefer to be the pot or the kettle?

- The Jays - 10-01-2004

It's gonna take a long time, and a totally re-envisioning of town development to help us wean off of the Arabian teet. We're not building communities in which the car is a luxary, where walking and public transportation is still a viable option. We're building communities in which the car is necessoty, where walking and public transportation are no longer thought of. Our cities are neglected while everyone moves out to the suburbs. The more spread out, and the more big box stores in large asphalt parking lots, the less of a chance anyone is able to go to walk to a store for a gallon of milk, or for a slice of pizza. The car becomes necessary for every thing outside, and thus, the house becomes bigger, and needs more energy, because it is incorporating more activities, such as recreation, multiple baths, multiple bedrooms, television and game rooms. Oil is being burned while its all getting built, and its getting burned to keep the community going. If all oil production stopped tomorrow, NYC might do ok for a lil bit, but the rest of the country would be put to a stand still, with the cities finally falling last. We've been using oil for only a couple hundred years, and we've already reached peak production.

- Mad - 10-01-2004

The Sleeper Wrote:I'd definitely be interested in Kerry speaking at length about concrete plans to reduce our dependency on oil.
Hemp, soybeans or any other forms of bio-diesel are viable options.

- Arpikarhu - 10-01-2004

hemp really is the answer.

Nader is pro-hemp

- The Jays - 10-01-2004

There's alot more to be done than searching for the thing to switch over to.

legalizing potential alternatives is a start though!

- The Jays - 10-01-2004

And Republicans are very scared after last night. Rush is invoking Reagan in order to spin this in a good way for Bush.

Quote:To our previous caller and all the rest of you out there who share similar sentiments, may I remind you -- and I know there's a caveat to this -- can I remind you of the first Reagan-Mondale debate in 1984. If you weren't around, that was painful. We were all. We were devastated. Reagan looked 99 years old and totally out of it. And the stories after that debate, "Is something wrong? Is Reagan? going senile?" The word "senile" was used in 1984. And now at that point, Mondale, he wasn't down by landslide proportions, that was yet to come. But Reagan still held a lead. It was not a huge, huge, huge lead but Reagan had a lead. And that debate didn't change that election at all. Because Reagan came back the next week and hit a home run. Or the next debate and hit a home run for making a joke about, you know, not exploiting the youth of his opponent, Mr. Mondale. But that first debate in 1984, it was bad. And this last night was nothing like that. Zilch, zero, nada. And we were right smack-dab in the midst of the Cold War. We had Mondale promising to raise taxes. We had Mondale saying the Soviet threat wasn't that big of deal, typical liberal stuff. What I'm trying to do here, folks, just so you know, I mean you can focus on Bush all you want. I mean, if the idea here is persuasion, if the idea here is victory, you got to focus on what Kerry said. Kerry said a number of truly damaging things to his own campaign last night.

Now, just because other people aren't focusing on them doesn't mean I'm not going to. And that's my focus here today. That's why we're playing the sound bites and reviewing some of the things that he said and putting them in some sort of context to counter the notion that Kerry put it all together last night. Everybody thinks Kerry put it all together, finally put it together last night, finally made some sense last night. He was the same old John Kerry last night. The thing that saved him, I think, was the time limit. Had there been no time limit, he would have wandered on and on and on and he didn't have time to contradict himself in two minutes.

- Arpikarhu - 10-01-2004

that quote makes bush seem truly pathetic