Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Barry-Barry Controversy
I thought I'd take the time to explain the Barry-Barry controversy for any listeners who are not familiar with it. (Please correct any mistakes.)

It all began with an old game they would play on the show called "Celebrity Name Game." Listeners would call in and take on a show member. It began with a celebrity's name, and one of the players had to come up with a different celebrity name that matched either the first name or the last name. It would then go back and forth until someone got stumped.

Example:
Caller: Michael J. Fox
Zane: Michael Jackson
Caller: Randy Jackson
Zane: Randy Newman
etc.

The controversy stemmed from the rule that spelling didn't have to match, but pronounciation did have to match. This led to people matching the last name "Berry" to the first name "Barry." No one thought anything of it, except for some listeners in New Jersey who argued that those were different because they were spelled and pronounced completely differently. The show members denied this and demanded New Jersey listeners who thought the name was different to demonstrate the pronounciation. Listeners from that region then pronounced "Berry" as BAIR-ee and "Barry" as BAh-ree (with the "a" as in "apple." However, the pronounciation of "a" as in "apple" for Barry was lost in the New Jersey accent, so the show members denied any difference in the pronounciation.

This grew into a huge controversy that somehow led to show members mistakenly thinking Jersey listeners were saying "BAR-ee" with "bar" pronounced like a place that serves drinks. Eventually, this misunderstanding was clarified, but the show still likes to joke that "It's pronounced BAIR-ee - NOT BAR-ee."

The feud lasted for many moons before finally, after some more pronounciation demonstrations, show members admitted that they heard a difference, though they could just identify it as some sort of influxuation of speech. To this day, they have never figured out that New Jersey callers pronounce "Barry" with the "a" sounding like the "a" in "apple."

The End.
A good start would be spelling it correctly. Berry/Barry
LimpBagel Wrote:A good start would be spelling it correctly. Berry/Barry

-except that there was no debate over the pronounciation of "Berry."

Boo to you!
my attention span isnt big enough to read this post
This was hilarious, the phone message that somebody sent was awesome. Then they spliced clips of something else together (I can't remember what it was).
I remember this bit. How many times did they listen to try and detect the difference in the two? Knowing FB & HW probably a hell of a lot. Tongue
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
See i can tell the difference, and it drives me friggin nuts when people say Barry like "berry". I understand us jersey-ans can talk fast, but come on, one rhymes with Carry, and one rhymes with Cherry.
providencecrow Wrote:See i can tell the difference, and it drives me friggin nuts when people say Barry like "berry". I understand us jersey-ans can talk fast, but come on, one rhymes with Carry, and one rhymes with Cherry.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm not thinking about it and in the middle of talking, I pronounce berry the same way barry is pronounced.
providencecrow Wrote:See i can tell the difference, and it drives me friggin nuts when people say Barry like "berry". I understand us jersey-ans can talk fast, but come on, one rhymes with Carry, and one rhymes with Cherry.

Carry and Cherry sound the same to me.
tinkleheimer Wrote:Carry and Cherry sound the same to me.

okay how about this Barry has the same 'a' sound as the first a in "alphabet" Berry has the 'e' sound like in 'elevator'

If you actually would not notice if someone said "alivator" or "Elphabet" then you might want to get your ears examined.
Berry - Beh like Better.
Barry - Bah like Batter.

When's the last time you heard someone say "the better is stepping up to the plate", or "I sure like FBHW batter than Bob and Tom."

Every time they revisit this is pisses me off because I don't get how people can't hear the difference.
njlirpy Wrote:Berry - Beh like Better.
Barry - Bah like Batter.

When's the last time you heard someone say "the better is stepping up to the plate", or "I sure like FBHW batter than Bob and Tom."

Every time they revisit this is pisses me off because I don't get how people can't hear the difference.

I hear no difference. I speak them the same, as well. I guess some of us are just that way.