Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Concert / Live Show
I'm stealing this from another message board, but I'm curious to see how varied our tastes are here. He is my post from the other board.

Something tells me I am going to be editing this post or adding to the thread often. Anyone who knows us understands we love to see live shows. I have a shoebox overflowing with stubs from the tons of shows we have seen. To put them into a top list is tough! I'll try, and I am sure Melissa will add and comment. Her list is going to be different too. I'm curious how many we cross as top shows.

#1 - Rush - Now of the 13 times I have seen them, which one is their #1 show for me........Probably Concord Pavilion in San Fran, CA - Vapor Trails tour. Second row in front of Alex Lifeson. We interacted with Alex and Geddy for the whole show. Melissa's birthday, on Vacation, a great show!

#2 Rush - November 14, 1991 - The Palace - Floor Section, Row 7, Seat 16, First time you see Rush, it's a top show.

#3 U2 - May 9, 2005 - United Center, Chicago - Not just floor, but inside the circle.

Just above Bonos' left hand you can see Melissa's face and my shoulder.

#4 Garbage - September 15, 2005 - The Joint & Hard Rock Hotel - Las Vegas - Last night of the US tour and Shirley wanted to party. They did their set (I got a copy of the setlist that night too!) and then she got the 3 ring binder out with all of their songs. A DRUNK Shirley (and band) started taking requests, and just jamming on the stage. It was a great night to see a band HAVE FUN and really enjoy themselves.

#5 - B-52's under the Arch in St. Louis. It was a free concert and I went alone. (Melissa was at the Tiger/Yankee game at Comerica). A beautiful summer evening in downtown STL, I was up front and just enjoying a HUGE party. Everyone singing, dancing, and getting along. A perfect summer night with an awesome soundtrack being played. Fred is SO gay, I think he is straight.

#6 - Ministry - April 18, 2003 - Pop's in Sauget, Illinois. This CRAPPY bar is in the worst neighborhood in East St. Louis. Rough crowd, rough show, rough night, but Al and the band were incredible. I wore earplugs and it was still to loud. WOW!

#7 The White Stripes - The Pagent - St. Louis. June 30, 2003. Jack had tech issues all night and even left the stage for a LONG time. Some of the stuff normally played through guitar effects were done very bare bones. Once in a lifetime to see a band as basic and unplugged as this. Jack and Meg pulled it off and it was incredible.

#8 SARSSTOCK - July 30, 2003 - 450,000 of my closest friends in the most mellow event ever. The Stones, ACDC, Rush, Justin Timberlake, The Guess Who, and more. I had to teach my neighbors how to use a saftey pin as a roach clip and I was the KING for the rest of the night. Toronto did an incredible job with this event.

#9 Ozzy - Val-Du-Lakes July 13, 1996 - Front and Center! The first time you see Ozzy live..........yep - I was also with a GREAT group of friends. We took my folks motorhome and partied like rockstars ourselves. I know who lit the fireworks off at 4:00AM.........

#10 - Arlo Guthrie - July 25, 2005 - Interlochen - What a showman! I could listen to AG tell stories all night. It was a fun evening with Melissa, My folks, and some good biker friends. Everyone needs to hear Alice's Resturant live at least once!

I'm sure this top 10 will change, I'm looking at ticket stubs from; Tool, 3 other U2 shows, Ozzfest, BB King, Steely Dan, Bowie(#11), The Who, Sabbath, Loretta Lynn, Heart, Britney Spears, Ringo, McCartney, and the list goes on and on............
Sadly I only have one entry, because it's the only show I've gone to. Foo Fighters, in GR this summer. Good music, good beer, good combo that night.
Fistor Wrote:I believe we've already done this topic. As I recall I won it.

A groupie for the Backstreet Boys, definitely constitutes a win..
jus' P Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:I believe we've already done this topic. As I recall I won it.

A groupie for the Backstreet Boys, definitely constitutes a win..

Groupie, fluffer.....whatever.
#1 Show I've been to: The Rolling Stones - Simply for the fact that they were probably the most energetic oldies I've ever seen.

I've been to other greats such as:
Aerosmith - girlfriend actually fell asleep during this one
Fuel - good show
Stevie Nicks - meh
Paramore - awesome
John Mayer - good when you don't look at the faces
Sting - disappointed because i wanted to hear more old stuff
Green Day - very fun show
The Eagles - 6th grade, first concert, liked it, but i had no clue what that smell was Smile
Bare Naked Ladies - Free for me - Don't like them, but it was actually a really good show.
Johnny Lang - pretty ok
New Found Glory - much fun, much mosh pitting
P.U.S.A. - nostalgic
George Clinton - high energy
Isaac Hayes -
Against All Authority -
Goo Goo Dolls X2 - show 1 = awesome, show 2 = sucked (Rzeznik was fat-ified and wasted)

...a few more local doodads too.
I haven't been to many

Tool sucked, post 9-11 so maynard just stood in the shadows and i was in nosebleeds (Palace of Auburn HIlls)

Godsmack/stained sucked, but if i remember correctly Godsmack stopped mid song to yell at a guard and kid smacking each other. they said they would get the guard fired and throw the kid outside with the guard(k-wings stadium)

APC at delta plex was awesome, small show, felt like a local band gig.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
My top 5 favorites that I've seen live:

Kings of Leon
Dave Matthews Band
Stone Temple Pilots
Local H
Foo Fighters

All 5 were Effing fantastic live. Come Nov. 8th I'll have seen all of them multiples times except for STP. I will force myself to stop there because I can already feeling myself want to write more and if I kept listing I'd end up wasting my whole afternoon.

I love me some shows. Love.
FUSTERCLUCK Wrote:#7 The White Stripes - The Pagent - St. Louis. June 30, 2003. Jack had tech issues all night and even left the stage for a LONG time. Some of the stuff normally played through guitar effects were done very bare bones. Once in a lifetime to see a band as basic and unplugged as this. Jack and Meg pulled it off and it was incredible.

Color me extremely Effing jealous, by the way. I'm utterly obsessed with that band.
Fistor Wrote:
FUSTERCLUCK Wrote:#7 The White Stripes - The Pagent - St. Louis. June 30, 2003. Jack had tech issues all night and even left the stage for a LONG time. Some of the stuff normally played through guitar effects were done very bare bones. Once in a lifetime to see a band as basic and unplugged as this. Jack and Meg pulled it off and it was incredible.

Color me extremely effing jealous, by the way. I'm utterly obsessed with that band.

Their story is pretty amazing...

Ok, you just sit there and beat that drum like a 10 year old...and I'll do everything else. What a great sound.

can't be a pimp and a prostitute too....
#1 Metallica in the mud at the Ionia Free Fair

#2 Pantera/White Zombie on the War of the Gargantua tour at Wings Stadium

#3 Black Sabbath in GR at the Van Andel

#4 Neal McCoy (seriously) at the Ionia Free Fair

#5 Slipknot at the Orbit Room

#6 Coal Chamber at the Orbit Room

#7 Ozzfest 2000

#8 The Cars at the old DeVos Hall (I think that's where it was)

#9 Barenaked Ladies at Pine Knob (I refuse to call it by the other name)

#10 Breaking Benjamin at the Orbit Room
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
landmammaldolphin Wrote:#2 Pantera/White Zombie on the War of the Gargantua tour at Wings Stadium

<--- TOTALLY jealous of that one.... and now it's too late....
Heart 1976 Tennessee State Fair - my 1st concert
Rush 1976 Nashville Municipal Auditorium - 2112 Tour
Police 1981 Nashville Municipal Auditorium - Ghost in the Machine Tour
I'm just going to list my top 3
1. Dave Mathews Band: Rothbury, and I was about 20 feet away from the stage. The whole show was amazing
2. Zappa plays Zappa: Also Rothbury. Dwezil did his dad proud I think. The whole band is filled with amazing musicians
3. Primus: Once again, Rothbury (I have been to other shows, but Rothbury just had some phenominal acts) This was the first show that Primus played in years, and the crowd and band were both pumped.
Ive been to quite a few good shows but two of my favorite were:

a show at the Electric Factory in Philiadelphia that was Reel Big Fish, Zebrahead, and Goldfinger. Six hours of awesomeness. push some chicks that wouldn't stop jumping on my feet into the mosh pit. I mainly went for Goldfinger.

No Doubt concert my last year at college. They played on campus, I got back stage passes, my sister got the bird from one of the guys in the band for saying a smart ass remark i told her to say, it was hilarious. God i wish I looked like Gwen Stephani.
sunshyne Wrote:No Doubt concert my last year at college. They played on campus, I got back stage passes, my sister got the bird from one of the guys in the band for saying a smart ass remark i told her to say, it was hilarious. God i wish I looked like Gwen Stephani.

Isn't Gwen Stefani AWESOME live!
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Yes!!!! Unfortunately I didn't get to meet her backstage though
1) Summer Sanitarium Tour: Metallica, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Mudvayne, and Deftones @ Pontiac Silverdome

2) Slipknot @ Delta Plex

3) Seether @ Summer Celebration in Muskegon

4) Kid Rock @ Van Andel Arena - Rock and Roll Revival Tour

5) Pantera/Soulfly @ Delta Plex

6) Poison @ Muskegon Bike Week

7) Ozzy/Rob Zombie @ Van Andel Arena

8) REO Speedwagon @ Muskegon Summer Celebration

9) Tesla @ Orbit Room

10) Slayer @ Orbit Room

other good concerts i've been to are Sammy Hagar, Godsmack, AC/DC, Megadeth, Cinderella, Van Halen, Tool, Greenday, Staind, Static X, 3 Doors Down, Fuel, Third Eye Blind, Buckcherry, Styx, Journey, oh god so many good ones!!!!! there are some bands I would LOVE to see live obviously some of these will never happen, but some I still can!!!
-Marilyn Manson
-The Doors
-Nirvana
-Pantera again Sad
-Stone Sour
-Black Sabbath
-Three Days Grace
-Aerosmith
-Creed
Just to name a few........
sadbuttrue325 Wrote:there are some bands I would LOVE to see live obviously some of these will never happen, but some I still can!!!
-Marilyn Manson
-The Doors
-Nirvana
-Pantera again Sad
-Stone Sour
-Black Sabbath
-Three Days Grace
-Aerosmith
-Creed
Just to name a few........

Oh, one of these things is not like the other... Tongue
Metallica is by far the best band I have seen live. Some of my favorite shows over the years were...
1) Opening for Ozzy in the 80's. Cliff was amazing! Master of Puppets tour.
2) And Justice for All tour. Saw three shows on this leg. 2 of them at Sandstone in KC. Stage show was the best.
3) Black album, also in KC but indoors this time. I saw them on Thanksgiving night. They gave out turkey legs and played an extra long set. VERY cool.
4) Monsters of Rock tour. Arrowhead in KC.
5) Summer Sanatarium at the Orange Bowl.
6) Saw them at the Palace about 4 years ago, had 3rd row seats. Once again, very good show.
Metallica is one of the only bands that I think sounds better live than in the studio.
Some other good stuff I've seen...
1) Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels tour. 89 or 90 I think at Arrowhead Stadium in KC. Living Color opened up.
2) Tool at DTE last year. Close second to Metallica live.
3) Iron Maiden in the late 80's. Another great stage show.
4) This will sound strange compared to the rest but I saw Depeche Mode with my girlfriend in 1990 (i think, lol) at Red Rocks in Denver. The venue was incredible but the show was actually really good considering I don't listen to that kind of music.
5) Rush on the Roll the Bones tour.
#1 Grateful Dead-Boston 9/20-9/26 went to all of them-last night was the best-last night ever in Boston Garden!

#2 Stevie Ray Vaughn

#3 Bjork

#4 The White Stripes!!!!

#5 The Raconteurs

#6 Jimmy Cliff

#7 Flaming Lips

#8 B.B. King

#9 Phish- IT Festival!!!

#10 Every other Grateful Dead show I've ever been to!!
def warped tour,

most fun ever.
fetusfacedwindbag Wrote:#1 Show I've been to: The Rolling Stones - Simply for the fact that they were probably the most energetic oldies I've ever seen.

I've been to other greats such as:
Aerosmith - girlfriend actually fell asleep during this one
Fuel - good show
Stevie Nicks - meh
Paramore - awesome
John Mayer - good when you don't look at the faces
Sting - disappointed because i wanted to hear more old stuff
Green Day - very fun show
The Eagles - 6th grade, first concert, liked it, but i had no clue what that smell was Smile
Bare Naked Ladies - Free for me - Don't like them, but it was actually a really good show.
Johnny Lang - pretty ok
New Found Glory - much fun, much mosh pitting
P.U.S.A. - nostalgic
George Clinton - high energy
Isaac Hayes -
Against All Authority -
Goo Goo Dolls X2 - show 1 = awesome, show 2 = sucked (Rzeznik was fat-ified and wasted)

...a few more local doodads too.

paramore/nfg at crawfish boil?

i ask cuz ive seen paramore least 8 times and nfg bout 20

that was an awesome show on riverfront. i even liked T-Pain Big Grin