Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My wife
My wife got fired from her job, because of economic downtimes. I wouldnt normally bitch, but she is 6 months pregnant and worked there for 7yrs. I mean what is that about. They are hiring On Staff people that have bearly been here a week or two. :-[
I'm an employer in the West Michigan area and we also had to downsize due to the economy. I understand when an employer has to do it. That being said, I've been on the other side and been fired myself and it's no fun, but try to look at a couple of positives. If they are willing to fire her and do what you say, does she really want to work for them in the first place? Maybe this is just a blessing in disguise. Also, she's 6 months pregnant and as long as she's not the one who carries the insurance, this will give her 3 months of unemployment where she can spend time with the baby. Like I said, it could be a blessing in disguise. I know when I got fired it took a long time to get over it, but in the end I know that I didn't want to work for that jackass anyway. Good luck with everything and try to look at the positives!
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
I agree, it could be it is just hard right now, the $ situation is the worst for us. I agree it is a pretty crappy place.
Wow, where's the loyalty on the part of that employer. 7 years is a pretty good stint at a job, and to fire someone, who also is 6 months pregnant, is pretty low. However, I will agree with LMD that sometimes things happen for a reason, and it could quite possibly be a blessing in disguise. Good luck to you (and your wife) mastershake.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Maybe you can sue for discrimination?

<-- has no idea how labor laws work
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
0rz0ski Wrote:Maybe you can sue for discrimination?

<-- has no idea how labor laws work

He could look into the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) and check with the EEOC about fair labor practices. There are both federal and state laws covering employment law.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Don't quote me, but the only way they would be able to sue is if the employer didn't keep her job for her after the maternity leave. They aren't required to pay you during maternity leave, but they are required to keep your position available for your return. Unfortunately I don't believe there is anything they can do at this point, except collect 6 months of unemployment.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
landmammaldolphin Wrote:Don't quote me, but the only way they would be able to sue is if the employer didn't keep her job for her after the maternity leave. They aren't required to pay you during maternity leave, but they are required to keep your position available for your return. Unfortunately I don't believe there is anything they can do at this point, except collect 6 months of unemployment.

Not completely true, if she held a job that the state required a minimum number of staff to client ratio, like with child care or other human service jobs, you might have to hire temporary staff to fill her spot. Even a receptionist job could be seen as too important to go without.

She should be able to claim unemployment without much of a fight from the employer. They have every right to terminate her employment.

As long as they crossed their t's and dotted their i's there is nothing you can do. Your wife could ask to see her personnel file (they are property of the company, but you have every right to inspect it) there might be internal terminiation paperwork you might want to check over, but it's up to you.

Sorry about that rough situation...Sad She might have too many benefits and make too much money as opposed to a new person who might not yet be benefit eligible. Sometimes money is more important than service to companies...
Thanks for all the support.