Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photography Question
potthole Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:No, what the bulb setting is.... you manually open the shutter, then manually close it. It's up to you to decide how long the shutter stays open.

If I set my cam to Bulb, when I press the button the shutter opens and stays open, until I press it a second time.

Since the shutter is open for so long, the image will be susceptible to a lot of shake when you press it the second time to close the shutter, which is why you should use a cable release or remote, or the timer (but I don't think you can get a shot of lightning using the timer other than by pure luck)

OH! So that's what it is! I've, for the longest time, been confused as to what exactly it is. Now I know exactly what setting you're referring to. I'll have to have the tripod handy the next time we have a good lightning storm, and see what I might capture.

Thanks!

If I weren't so lazy I'd look it up and figure out why it's called the "Bulb" setting, I _think_ it's because the older film cameras had a bulb that you would squeeze and then release to activate the shutter, but I'm probably wrong about that.

Also one more thing about the lightning, you want to try and shoot it as far away from any street lights and ambient lighting as possible, since the shutter is open so long, the more light polution there is, the more likely it will ruin the image.
Wowie Groovie !

Messages In This Thread