Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You work for me Doc!
I had an interesting day yesterday. For the last couple of weeks I have been going back and forth with our family doctor about the use of a product called Emla Cream. My daughter was scheduled for her 6 month vaccinations yesterday and we wanted to try the Emla Cream where she would be receiving her injections. I checked the Emla website and they recommend it for infant vaccinations and I know quite a few parents who swear by it. Emla is a numbing cream that will numb the area where the baby gets an injection and I found a few studies that showed it worked very well with very few side effects, if any.
http://www.emla.com.au/3829375/Vaccination_Dosage/

The doctor had his PA call a few times and I discussed it with him and a nurse who were going to "relay" my concerns to the doctor. The couple of times I talked to the PA he said that they had never used it but didn't think it would work. They suggested using a pre-dosing of Children's Tylenol an hour before the injections to help with the pain and not the cream. What ticked me off about that, is they had never mentioned the Tylenol pre-dosing until I started asking about the Emla Cream. You would think they would at least let us know about the Tylenol thing ahead of time, but that's another story.

Well yesterday I spoke to the PA again after they denied a prescription for the Emla and asked him if there were any negatives other than "they didn't think it would work." He said no and asked me why I would want to use it on my child. I told him that after seeing her face and hear her scream when they stuck the needles in (4 of them btw and she started screaming when they poked her, not when the medicine went in) why wouldn't I want to at least try it? He said he would talk to the doctor again.

About 3:30 yesterday I got a call from the doctor and he left a message on our machine (I was out and walked in as he was hanging up). He said that he wouldn't write the prescription on the message so I called him back to ask why we couldn't at least try it since it would be on our dime anyway. I actually got a hold of him and he said he refused to prescribe it and then told me that "she won't remember it anyway" and that I was "only trying to get the cream to soothe myself and not for the benefit of my daughter." This set me off and I replied with "Listen Doc, you work for me." I know that set him off because he started yelling over the phone and started with the words, "now you listen to me." I cut him off with the loudest voice I could muster since I have a cold and said, "NO, YOU LISTEN RIGHT THE *BEEP* NOW. YOU CANCEL OUR *BEEP*ING APPOINTMENT AND WE'RE FINDING A NEW *BEEP*ING DOCTOR WHO KNOWS THE RIGHT WAY TO TREAT HIS CUSTOMERS!" and I hung up on him.

I'm sorry but if there are no side effects to the cream and it has been shown to help in the past, why not let us at least try it. It's not like he was paying for it or had to do anything different. Our request was simple and we stated it many times; let us at least try it once and see if it helps.

Needless to say, we have a new doctor now and I have filed quite a few complaints against him. When it comes to my daughter and I'm sure everyone else with children, I want to do everything to make sure they aren't in pain or hurting. I know that she needs the vaccines but why not do everything I can to make sure she is as comfortable as possible when having them?
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"

Messages In This Thread