Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seat Belt Laws
Fistor Wrote:
providencecrow Wrote:I say do away with the seatbelt laws, if you can tolerate the constant BING BING BING BING from not having it on, then going through a windshield should be no problem.

Any law put into effect to give cops another reason to write a ticket is just dumb when you know, there is real crime to worry about.

Say I'm driving along with my seatbelt on and someone not wearing a seatbelt pulls out in front of me. I slam into him and his dead body flies through the windshield and explodes all over the pavement. I'm going to have a hard time getting over that. I'll probably never be the same again, actually. That would be something that would haunt me for the rest of my life. When my kids grow up and start driving, I would be a basket case, staying up all night just knowing they're dead in a ditch somewhere or pinned up against a tree.

What I'm saying is if there were no seatbelt law, scenes like this would be a lot more commonplace, and it they wouldn't just have one victim.

Taking it further, rates would skyrocket many times more than they already are, since insurance companies would be paying out lot more death benefits and injury claims.

If this accident "were" to happen as in any accident, I would be scarred as well. The whole point of my post was to vent my opinion that we should have the choice to wear a seat belt. I do wear a seat belt by choice however, the law does not allow that freedom of choice no longer. I got a ticket over the summer for not wearing one. I traveled 2 city blocks from my office to our warehouse and while in a hurry, I failed to strap it on. The police officer coming the opposite way happened to take notice and popped me. I realize it is my mistake and paid the fine. What really burns me is that I have seen the police driving several times in downtown G-Rap NOT wearing a seat belt. Who monitors them?

The point I was trying to get across comparing the car vs. motorcycle is that if this law was made for the safety factor, how come I can ride my motorcycle with the helmet being the only source of protection? If I get in a wreck on my bike, the odds favor me getting busted up worse than if I were in a car not wearing a seatbelt. But I choose to ride knowing the risks. A biker is more at risk being thrown into another car when in an accident. Again, my point is freedom of choice.

You mentioned insurance. Insurance companies raise rates you use it, why dont they give a rebate if you dont have any accidents or tickets. If you know of an insurance company that does this, please post the name of them.

Messages In This Thread