Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have some questions for the Christians.
Queenie Wrote:
Mad Dog Wrote:No, but you brushed it off Queenie. You couldn't see that Speed bump was attempting to make a serious point using a humorous absurdity to point out what he feels is an absurdity.

Re-read his post and try to extract your emotion from it and try to answer it again. He feels, as I do, that the belief in God is an Adult version of children believing in Santa Clause, and he, as I do, would like to hear from you why God and Santa do not belong in the same breath as each other. This is not an attempt to piss anyone off, especially you my Queen. Just an attempt to get each other to think about what it is exactly we believe. Long Live the Queen!!

Queenie Wrote:And the purpose of this was ____________?

I mean if you really talked to a flying spaghetti monster, that's great, but I was just trying to figure out if you were trying to relay another thought here. Seriously, not to be maleficent.

How is this considered brushing off. I did not understand what he was trying to infer. Am I supposed to know that he is trying to make a serious point with, as you put it, a humorous absurdity? I cannot read minds. I specifically added my last sentence to show sincerity.

WRT Santa Claus and God not being alike, here is my opinion on the matter. Santa Claus is a mythical figure adopted by Western cultures to bring presents on Christmas Eve. I do not believe in Santa Claus, and I did not promote it to my own children. Christmas Eve is the night before Christmas Day, the day Jesus Christ, the Son of God, was born. God is the creator of the universe, in my opinion. I believe in God, pray to God, rely on God and worship God. The key words in all of this is "in my opinion". When I have an "opinion," I will gladly back up my position and not color it with wild "humorous absurdities."

In my mind, this entire topic is a humorous absurdity. And generally you back up your opinion by saying "this is my opinion". That doesn't leave me much to work with. In my post on page 5, you corrected my language, and then proceeded to tell my your opinion. You really didn't respond to the point of my post. That's not saying you have to, but if you were going to enter in to the debate I would prefer you furthered it.

This is the post I'm talking about, just to make sure everyone is clear:
Quote:I have a problem with this. It seems to defy common sense that you can understand something inspired by God, but also in an argument use the excuse "I don't try to understand God's will, I just accept it". Which one is it? All the time Christians say in response to a tragedy that "no one can understand God's plan", so who are you to claim you understand something that is supposedly written by the will of God.

Of course you could argue "The Bible is meant to be written as God's message for humans, so humans are capable of understanding what is written in it". But I also have a problem with this. Why do you allow yourself to claim such ignorance when trying to understand why things happen through God, but choose to become an expert when examining what God has written down for you? The Bible is not the entire basis of Christianity either, and therefore part of the basis of your religion has come from God in some other form. This form is through the Pope, who is said to speak for God when making papal decrees. If the Pope can interpret and act on God's will, then who are you to say that no one can understand God's will in response to a tragedy? No one is greater than anyone else in the eyes of God, so why is only the pope given this power to understand God's will and apply it to all of Christianity? If people were allowed to understand why things happen, they would have an easier time accepting God. You could say that faith doesn't come easy, but it was pretty damn easy back in the time of Jesus when all these "miracles" were occurring. Faith came quick and easy back then, and people were converted by the thousands.

Messages In This Thread