Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iguana owners
Ferrets are awesome, very entertaining, but they aren't something to obtain on a whim (I'm not saying you are). They are crazily active for part of the day, and then sleep for up to 12-14 hours. Always buy a neutered/spayed and de-scented ferret. This reduces behavioral problems with males and prevents deadly conditions from occurring in females.

If you get a single ferret you need to make sure you have enough time to spend with it and make sure it has lots of toys, even a pair of ferrets need toys to keep them from getting bored. Always keep ferrets in a cage, aquariums don't allow enough air.

You can use a water bottle for ferrets but if you get a baby you'll need to acclimate it to the bottle if it hasn't already been to avoid dehydration. There are many types of ferret foods available, try to find a dry food that is high in animal product protein (not soy/vegetable protein). It may be more expensive but they won't have to eat as much to obtain the high amount of this type of protein that they require.

Make sure your ferret is vaccinated for canine distemper and rabies. You shouldn't need a rabies shot every year, you can have it checked yearly instead by getting a titer done.

The only other major thing I can think of is that they need a litter tray (preferably with 3 higher walls), in which you can use cat litter as long as it is dust free. They also need a box or something with bedding (old t-shirt, wood shavings, etc) that provides them with a dark private area.

Ferrets will 9x out of 10 be fine and hold their own with cats and dogs.

My cousin has a 2 ferrets with his girlfriend. They bought this rediculous looking santa costume for them. The one ferret absolutely hates the santa hat so now they use it as a punishment if he misbehaves. They'll put it on him and he'll curl up in a corner sulking and pissed off.

Lastly, always have a video camera ready.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.

Messages In This Thread