10x - x = 9.9 - 0.99
9x = 8.91
x = .99

x = 0.999
10x = 9.99
10x - x = 9.99 - 0.999
9x = 8.991
x = 0.999

As you keep adding 9s, it approaches 1 but it never is 1. The only way that example would work is if your 9.9999... had one more 9 than 0.9999. Capisce?

K I'm done boring everyone with math.

Another argument I have with my boyfriend and mother is whether or not people who are born into poverty have a fair chance to make it in life. I think they sure as hell do if they work hard. Sure doing well in school and going to college has some to do with your upbringing, but just because you are born into hard times doesn't mean you are bound to be poor for the rest of your life. But that's more of a political debate.

Still wrong, now I see the flaw in your argument, you are at some point truncating .9999... in your head. Those numbers you provided are completely different from what I am saying. For those arguments to follow with .999... then it would have to end at some point and it doesn't.

One of the most basic elementary properties of the Real Number System is that you can always find a number between ANY two given numbers, unless those numbers are equal. If this property does not hold, then the Real Numbers cannot exist. Now if you can find me a number between .999... and 1 I'll show you a unicorn.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."

Messages In This Thread