Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Civil War by 2005! Global Nuclear War by 2015!
Quote:Originally posted by The Brain

Highly doubtful.

We can't even establish a permanent lunar base or space station, but suddenly we'll leap forward in technology to be able to manipulate the time/space continuum?

*disclaimer*
again...I'm rolling with the "devils advocate" role, ok? (even though a part of me really does feel this way...)

Well, sometimes discoveries/leaps in technology come about unintentionally, don't they? "Happy accidents" I like to call them. What if they just happen to "stumble" upon these "microsingularities"?

Quote: And then, having accomplished this feat, we only jump back about some 30 years into the past? Why not further back, to perhaps prevent WWI or WWII? Or even further, to document mankind's development (to end the debate over evolution vs. divine creation)?

well, what if he thought that going back that far was too risky? If he truely intended on diverting us from his "reality" of civil & nuclear war, maybe he realized that the best chance of doing that was to inform us at this stage of things?

Maybe he felt that if he went back too far, a whole other set of horrible outcomes would have been created?

I read a short story once and it dealt with a man that went back in time to observe dinosaurs. He inadvertantly stepped on a butterfly and killed it. Turns out that by killing this one butterfly, it set up a completely different chain of events and thus, changed his reality that he left in the first place.

Thats the kind of premise I'm working with here...that if this guy went too far back, who knows what other issues would have been inadvertantly created?

Quote:You can't say that he's not trying to interfere with history... the simple fact that he would have come back to \"predict\" to us our future <i>is</i> an alteration of history.

this is true. I have no retort here. :nod:

Messages In This Thread
US Civil War by 2005! Global Nuclear War by 2015! - by 60FeetUnderWater - 09-15-2003, 04:50 PM