Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Civil War by 2005! Global Nuclear War by 2015!
Quote:Originally posted by The Brain
Quote:Originally posted by 60FeetUnderWater
the only thing truely disturbing is this:

What if he's for real?

:disappointed:
Highly doubtful.

We can't even establish a permanent lunar base or space station, but suddenly we'll leap forward in technology to be able to manipulate the time/space continuum? And then, having accomplished this feat, we only jump back about some 30 years into the past? Why not further back, to perhaps prevent WWI or WWII? Or even further, to document mankind's development (to end the debate over evolution vs. divine creation)?

You can't say that he's not trying to interfere with history... the simple fact that he would have come back to "predict" to us our future <i>is</i> an alteration of history.
Brain, he actually does explain most of this. I know it takes a long time to read all that's there, but it's a pretty interesting read.

A lot of it is centered on "worldlines" and string theory. String theory predicts basically an infinite amount of universes, all with different outcomes, and these are the "worldlines" that he talks about. (This is not something he just made up, string theory does actually exist in science.) So there's a worldline where you decided to step off the curb without looking first and got creamed by a truck, on and on, for every choice, there's a world where the other one was made.

As you time travel, you're also traveling to a different worldline. So on John Titor's worldline, he never posted on a message board in 2000-2001... only in ours. To change a major event here, changes our future, based on knowledge from his worldline's past, and that causes our worldline to divert from his.

He also explains that he can't go back more than about 60 years without the divergence between worldlines being too great. He gave one example that if he decided to travel back 2000 years to meet Christ, he'd be more than likely to land on a worldline where Christ was never even born.

Of course, this worldline theory gives him a nice opt-out if the future predictions are false... "oh well, must have been different on this worldline".... which could be debated either way between supporters and detractors...

Titor figured that our worldline was about 1-2% different from his, and said that he thought our worldline wasn't different enough to avoid the war.

I dunno, I find it interesting, true or not.

The guy does know a little bit about how a lot of up-and-coming technologies work..... whoever he is, he sure did his homework...
&lt;center&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.yourmomsbox.net/ftl/ftl-oldtimey.gif&quot;&gt;&lt;/center&gt;

Messages In This Thread
US Civil War by 2005! Global Nuclear War by 2015! - by FollowThisLogic - 09-15-2003, 05:34 PM